GUILLAUME DE LACELLES.

The family of de Lacelles, barons of Messie, came from Lacella, near Falaise, which, with its church, belonged, in 1154, to the abbey of St-Sauveur, Evreux. They were seated in Yorkshire from the time of the conquest and during the reign of Henry were divided into two powerful branches concerning whom Dugdale writes: "Of this ancient family, seated in the county of York, were divers persons of great note many ages since"; the first branch were the Lacelles of Kirby, who were represented by Roger in 1130, Picot, 1139-65, Roger in 1165 Robert Fitz Picot, and Roger, which latter was summoned to parliament as a baron in 1295. "Radolphus de Lacelles" was the head of the other branch, the Lacelles of Horlsey, who held lordships in Yorkshire of Ilbert de Lacy in 1086; soon afterwards Horlsey, Bingeley and Buskerby were granted to the family by the king. Radolphus was a benefactor to Nostel priory; he had issue Jordan and Turgis of Yorkshire in 1130. The former was a benefactor to the same priory and in 1154 Henry II confirmed his grants. Simon de Lacelles held two knights' fees from the de Lacys in 1165, and in Norman People it is affirmed that the earls of Harewood are descended from him. The present house differ from this statement, recognizing as their undoubted progenitor John Lacelles, seated at Hinderskelfe, now called castle Howard, in the time of Edward II. The present viscount Lascelles, earl of Harewood, married Princess Mary, daughter of king George V. The name is carried on the rolls of Duchesne, Leland, Holinshed and Dives.

--(This name appears on the Falaise Roll).