LE SIRE DE VESLI.
Vesly-en-Vexin Normand is near Gisors in the diocese of Rouen, anciently called Velli, Velly, Verlei and later Wailley, Vely, etc. The priory of Vesly, depending from the abbey of Marmoutiers near Tours, was according to dour Martene in his history of that famous monastery founded and dedicated to St-Martin by jean de la Val, a monk in that religious institution, son of Guy II sire de la Val, c. 1060. He gave half of the seigniory of Vesly for this purpose; the other half belonged to the seigneur de Dangn and his vassals. The confirmation of a charter was executed by Ernoulf de Villanis, giving property in Vesly to the monks of Marmoutiers before 1064 and another was made in 1076 by Richard de Miry (de Miriaco) also confirming possessions in Vesly, given to them by his father, Onfroy, presumably about 1066. Hunfredus de Merai also occurs in the grand charter of William the Conqueror in favour of the abbey of Bec. Osberne de Vesly gave lands to the monks of Vesly, just before 1064, which shortly after 1066 Milo de Vesly, his son, confirmed. The latter therein states that he was in England at the time of the execution of the charter and his father's death, which leads to the conclusion that his absence was occasioned by his participation in the battle of Hastings. MM. Charpillon and Caresme are of the opinion that William, Huges and Robert de Vesly accompanied duke William to England in 1066, in which they are supported by Delisle, who inscribed the latter two on the Dives roll. Hunfridus was a vassal of Ibert de Laci in Yorkshire in 1086 (Domesday) and appears as Umfrido de Villeio before 1100, giving two garbs from the harvest yearly towards the endowment of St. Clement's chapel in Pontefract castle, as recorded by A. S. Ellis. He held in Snidal, Newton and Ackworth, and two centuries later his descendants continued to be tenants of the Lacys in Yorkshire. The charters of Marmoutiers suggest the thought that the Humfridus of Domesday was a member of the family there recorded and came from Vesly-en-Vexin. The Crispin family, lords of Dangu, were large donors to the priory of Vesly in the 12th and 13th centuries, among which were two of William Crispin, lord of Lisors and Dangu, son of Joscelyn, made in 1180-1224, and 1216. In 1260 his grandson, William Crispin, then lord of Dangu, was the sole patron of this priory, which was held by his descendants until the revolution, with the exception of a short period during the 15th century. Sir Humphrey de Vesly, c. 1270, held Thorner in Yorkshire of the earl of Lincoln and was also the lord of the manor of Owston, from whom descended the family of Wyly or Wylie.
--(This name appears on the Falaise Roll).