Thorny

For Tornai, from Tornai in Normandy. Walter de Torni held it 1165, by Castle Guard (Feod. Norm.). "Upon the redistribution of the conquered province of Mercia, when Earl Roger de Montgomery entered Shropshire to possess and rule, Gerard de Tornai, one of his followers, received as the meed of service, eighteen valuable Saxon manors, of which the largest was Sutton.

"Gerard was one of those western magnates who, upon the accession of Rufus, rebelled against him. At any rate, De Tornai's career in Shropshire terminated, about 1088, in a total and absolute forfeiture. The disinherited baron had a daughter, Sibil, wife of Hamo Peverel, who by special favour acquired a succession to the forfeited estate, under a title from the first ambiguous."—History and Antiquities of Shropshire. She died s. p. Goisfrid de Tornai held a fief in Lincoln 1086 (Domesday): and William de Tornai was Viscount of Lincoln before 1130 (Rot. Pip.). In Somersetshire John Tornay was among the gentlemen of the county certified as qualified to be Knights of the Bath temp. Henry VII. The name reappears in Bucks, where in 1664, they purchased the manor of Cublington, which passed through an heiress to the Sheppards. "The family had been long settled in Bucks, and held large possessions there from the time of Henry III.; their name occurring among the proprietors of land in Soulbury, Slapton, Great and Little Brickhill, Stoke-Hamond, Cheddington, and other parishes. Bernard Tournay, who died in 1681, the last heir male of this ancient family, acquired a degree of reputation that was highly honourable; he filled the office of a magistrate with great integrity, and was esteemed by a large circle of acquaintance, who daily witnessed his benevolence and shared in his hospitality."—Lipscomb's Bucks. John de Thorney, Lord of Figheldean in Wiltshire, was summoned in 1324 to attend the great Council at Westminster: Simon Thorney, in 1316, was Lord of Holcombe in Somersetshire; and William de Thorney one of the "Servientes" performing military service due from the Bishop of Worcester in 1310.—Palgrave's Parliamentary Writs. The Lincolnshire branch still continued in that century; for Sir William Tourney, son of Sir Edward Tourney of Lincolnshire, acquired Shapwick-Champagne, in Dorsetshire by his wife Mary, heiress of Thomas Champagne, in the time of Edward III. Their son Edward settled on his mother's inheritance, but left only a daughter, through whom it passed to the Husseys. These Tournays bore Barry of six, Or and Vert. In Devonshire, Hugh de Tournay, in 1212, bestowed part of his manor of Molland on St. Nicholas' Priory, Exeter (v. Cartulary). In 1264, Roger de Tournay, being in attendance on Henry III. during his visit at Hurstmonceux Castle in Sussex, was accidentally killed by a bowshot while he was hunting in the park. William de Tornei witnesses Henry I.'s charter to Thetford Priory.—Mon. Angli.

-- Cleveland

Return to Main Index