Guillaume de Cailly

The name "de Caillie" is mentioned by Wace (1. 13649). Cailly is in the canton of Cleres arrondissement of Rouen, and it is quite certain that one or more members of this family came to the conquest. William de Calso (Cailly), who held lands in capite in Berkshire in 1086 (Domesday - Sulham), was present on that occasion, as was probably Osberne de Cailly and his son, Roger, who in 1080 made a donation to St-Ouen.


Sulham Church Photo © Brendan and Ruth McCartney april 2005

They were of importance in England through their alliance with the Giffards and Tateshalls. Thomas de Cailly married Emma, one of the co-heirs of sir Robert de Tateshall, and succeeded through her to the barony of Buckingham, which at his death without issue passed through his sister and heir Margaret, to the family of Clifton, in the tenth year of the reign of Edward II. The lords of Preaux in Normandy formed a branch of this family. --(Falaise Roll)

Return to Main Index