On the morning of 20th September 1066, Haralds army sets out on its 9 mile march to York. Haralds scouts had reported the English were taking up a position between the river Ouse and the village of Fulford. Like Escrick, Fulford before the Conquest belonged to Morcar, Earl of Northumbria and after the Conquest passed to Count Alan of Brittany. In the top border appears the sea-goat Capricorn and in the lower border we see men gathering the harvest. In the top border we see three figures playing carnyxes. A bronze trumpet, held vertically to allow its notes to carry over the heads of those in battle. It was used in warfare to incite troops to battle and to intimidate their opponents.