History of Rutland

See also article on Rutland

The north-western part of the county of Rutland was recorded as Rutland, a detached part of Nottinghamshire, in the Domesday Book; the south-eastern part as the wapentake of Wicelsea in Northamptonshire. It was first mentioned as a separate county in 1159, but as late as the 14th century it was referred to as the 'Soke of Rutland'.

In the 19th century it was divided into the hundreds of Alstoe, East, Martinsley, Oakham and Wrandike.

Rutland gained its own county council by virtue of the Local Government Act 1888, but it was reconstitiuted as a district of Leicestershire in 1974 by the Local Government Act 1972. This district was given unitary authority status by popular demand on 1 April 1997.

Most of Wikipedia's text and many of its images are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-SA)

Return to Main Index