History of Surrey

See also article on Surrey

County of Surrey
Image:EnglandSurreyTrad.png
Geography
Area
- Total
- % Water
Ranked 30th
485,129 acres
? %
County town Kingston upon Thames
Chapman code SRY
 

The name Surrey comes from the Old English suther-ge meaning southern district and is first recorded in AD 722 as Suthrige.

Surrey was anciently divided into the fourteen hundreds of Blackheath, Brixton, Copthorne, Effingham, Elmbridge, Farnham, Godalming, Godley, Kingston, Reigate, Tandridge, Wallington, Woking and Wotton.

Until 1889, Surrey contained the area of the present-day London boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark and Wandsworth. In 1965 the London boroughs of Croydon, Kingston, Merton, Richmond (part only) and Sutton were created and made part of Greater London, and the area of the present-day borough of Spelthorne acquired from Middlesex.

In the 1974 local governent reform caused Gatwick Airport and some surrounding land to be transferred to West Sussex. In the enactment of Local Government Act 1972, Horley and Charlwood were also to be transferred, but fierce local protests led to a reversal of this decision.

Most of Wikipedia's text and many of its images are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-SA)

Return to Main Index