May 5th, 2017

A Church Micro day around Eastbourne

All Saints Chapel, Wedding Venue, Eastbourne

The All Saints site was an Anglo-Catholic nunnery and convalescent home, designed by Henry Woodyer. It was built between 1867 and 1869 with land donated by the 7th Duke of Devonshire, the Chapel was added in 1874.

Theresa May was born in the All Saints Hospital in Meads. and her father the Rev Hubert Brasier was the Chaplin for the All Saints Hospital and Chapel in the 1950’s. The Hospital closed in 2004, has now been converted into luxury flats.

Church of the Latter Day Saints, Eastbourne.
Founded in 1968, the building was a former theological college, built in 1874.
Town Hall Eastbourne.
Designed by W. Tadman Foulkes and built between 1884 and
1886. The clock was installed in 1892 by Gillett & Johnston.

Saint Mary The Virgin, Eastbourne
Dedicated to St Michael this Saxon church was superseded by a flint and stone Norman church. Saint Mary's is Eastbourne's oldest church and dates from about 1200, with a 14th-century exterior.

St Saviour's Church, Eastbourne

Founded in 1865, St Saviour's Church, Eastbourne was built on a turnip field granted to the town by the Duke of Devonshire.

The 176-foot 'broach spire' red brick and ashlar building was completed in 1868.

Our Lady of Ransom Church, Eastbourne

Founded as a mission in 1869, built from 1900 to 1903, and had extensions completed in 1926.

It was designed in the Gothic Revival style by the architect Frederick Walters and is a Grade II listed building.


 
South Street Free Churh, Eastbourne.
The church, of red brick with stone banding and dressings, was listed by English Heritage in May 2009. The "Free Gothic"-style structure stands on the site of a blacksmith's forge.

Grove Road Baptist Chapel, Eastbourne.
J.J. Skinner's 1881 red brick and stone chapel replaced an earlier Strict Baptist place of worship, Marsh Chapel, which was founded in the first few years of the 19th century.

 

All Souls Church, Eastbourne
Alfred Strong's church of 1882, with an exterior of red, white and yellow brick combines the Italianate, Byzantine and Romanesque styles and has a tall campanile and decorative apse.
The Lamb AD1180 - Grade II listed
"A dolled-up front", in Nikolaus Pevsner's words, conceals the ancient timber-framed interior of this
16th-century inn. Surviving medieval features include the jettied upper storey, the main door and a vaulted undercroft with original timbers in the ceiling.
Talli-ho Hotel, Eastbourne - Grade II listed
Architect John Leopold Denman designed many pubs for the Kemp Town Brewery. This example from 1927 is a "striking" building, inspired by the Arts and Crafts and Sussex Vernacular styles. Much of the intricate original detail survives.
Church of God
Worldwide Mission, Eastbourne

Return to Main Index