May 6th, 2017

A few more church Micros around Eastbourne

St. Andrew's Church, Bishopstone

The church, dedicated to Saint Andrew, is thought to date from the 8th century, and may well be the oldest in the county. Bishopstone church has an ancient canonical sundial in its porch. The sundial is inscribed with the name Eadric, the King of Kent in 685.
St Elisabeth's Church, Eastbourne

Peter Dulvey Stonham's gigantic unadorned Gothic red-brick church was founded in 1935 and consecrated on 19 February 1938. Design faults in the construction of walls and roof affected the structural integrity, and the church has been declared redundant.

Holy Trinity Church,
Eastbourne

An Anglican Early English-style place of worship, Holy Trinity was designed by Decimus Burton and opened in 1839 as a Chapel of ease for St Mary the Virgin. Aisles and the east end of the chancel were added in 1855 and 1861 respectively. It became a parish church in 1847

Christ Church, Roselands, Eastbourne

Eastbourne's "fishermen's church" was designed by Benjamin Ferrey in 1859. Early visitors included Princess Alice and Lewis Carroll, who preached there under his real name of Reverend Charles Dodgson. The Gothic Revival flint church's chancel was added in 1879. The tower took nine years to complete.



Return to Main Index