May 8th, 2017

Geocaching around Falmer, Glynde, Beddingham and Firle

Falmer village pond, home to a population of ducks and geese, accounts for the name of the village:
Old English for 'fallow (pale-coloured) pond'
St Laurence, Falmer.
A restoration of 1840 was responsible for the unusual Neo-Norman appearance of this church, which was rebuilt between 1815 and 1817 from the demolished ruins of a medieval predecessor.
The gilded clock of
St Laurence, Falmer.
The Village sign of Beddingham and Glynde
(No VS cache here)
The Village sign of Beddingham and Glynde
(No VS cache here)
Glynde place
Glynde Place is an Elizabethan Manor House at Glynde in East Sussex. It is the family home of the Viscounts Hampden, whose forebears built the house in 1569. Built by William Morley (1531–97), the house was built of Sussex flint and stone from Caen. It was square, with an inner courtyard.
The front entrance to Glynde Place

St Mary's Church, Glynde
Built in the 1760s by Richard Trevor, Bishop of Durham, whose family seat was the adjacent Glynde Place.

Richard Trevor (1707–71), Bishop of Durham, considerably altered the house. On the walls of knapped flint he erected two wyverns, the heraldic dragons of the Trevors.
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Hatchment to Henry Otway Trevor, Lord Dacre, 1853
St Mary's Church, Glynde
The altar
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Funeral Hatchment
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Stained glass window
St Mary's Church, Glynde
Gillian finds a well hidden South Down Way cache at Glynde
Suffolk sheep on the South Down Way at Glynde
The Glyndebourne wind turbine
Gillian finds the Glyndebourne wind turbine view cache
Stained-glass window
St Peter's Church, West Firle
St Peter's Church, West Firle
The oldest part of the church dates from about 1200. A crenellated tower with buttresses stands at the west end. Adjoining the chancel is a Chapel for members of the Gage baronetcy.
John Piper stained-glass window
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Gillian adds a ribbon to the tree at
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Ribbons tied to a wishing tree.
St Peter's Church, West Firle
I added this one
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Monumental brasses to members
of the Gage family.
St Peter's Church, West Firle
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Alabaster effigy of
Sir John Gage wearing his Order of the Garter and lying beside his wife Philippa
Monumental brasses to members
of the Gage family.
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Bartholomew Bolney brass, 1476
St Peter's Church, West Firle
George Gage brass, late 16th Century. W. Firle
Thomas and Elizabeth Gage
brass, 1590

Mary Howard, daughter of William 4th Lord Eure.
St Peter's Church, W. Firle
C.E.Kempe stained glass window
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Kneelers
St Peter's Church, West Firle
C.E.Kempe stained glass window
St Peter's Church, West Firle
Kneelers
St Peter's Church, West Firle

Return to Main Index