Wilberfoss shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||1,866 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|– London||170 mi (270 km) S|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||East Yorkshire|
Wilberfoss is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It is situated on the north side of the A1079 approximately 8 miles (13 km) east of York city centre and 11 miles (18 km) north-west of Market Weighton. According to the 2011 UK census, Wilberfoss parish had a population of 1,866, an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,855.
In 1823 inhabitants in the village numbered 335. Occupations included fifteen farmers, some of whom were land owners, three shopkeepers, two wheelwrights, two blacksmiths, a butcher, a bricklayer, a corn miller, a baker, a tailor, a wholesale brewer, and the landlords of the True Briton, Horse Shoes, and Waggon and Horses public houses. Also listed was one gentleman, a school teacher, and a perpetual curate. Baines' History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York states that the "ancient and respectable" family of Wilberfoss resided here from the Norman Conquest to 1710, after which the family estate and mansion was sold. A family descendant was William Wilberforce, and the Wilberforce family still provided patronage for the parish living. A priory of Benedictine nuns was founded at Wilberfoss by Elias de Cotton during the reign of Henry II, which at the time of the Suppression of the Monasteries by Henry VIII had a yearly value of £26. 10s. 8d. The priory lay just to the north of St John's Church; nothing of it remains today.
- ^ a b "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- ^ "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Wilberfoss CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- ^ Baines, Edward; History, Directory & Gazetteer of the County of York (1823), pp.399, 400. ISBN 1230139141
- ^ Pevsner, Nikolaus; The Buildings of England. Yorkshire: York and the East Riding p.369; Penguin (1972); reprinted 1975, Pevsner Architectural Guides. ISBN 0140710434
- ^ Historic England. "Church of St John the Baptist (1162096)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 10 August 2013.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 11.