Regenbald of Cirencester
The majority of King Edward's clerics continued in their posts under Harold and then William, including Regenbald the king's Chancellor. His successor, Herfast, known as `the illiterate', was referred to as chancellor before he was elevated to the see of Elmham in 1070.
Milborne Port lies at the south edge of Somerset between the towns of Shaftesbury and Sherborne. It started as a market centre or `port' for the Anglo-Saxon royal estate of Milborne. The church dedicated to St John the Evangelist on the highest part of the town, was built soon after the Norman Conquest by Regenbald. It is one of the oldest churches in Somerset and displays late Saxon crossing arches with a pre-Conquest chancel. The chancel has Early English lancet and Decorated Gothic coupled lancet with plate tracery windows.Return to Main Index