The longships anchor on the shore at Scarborough and the men, with weapons drawn, ransack the township. Scarborough is dominated by Castle Hill with sandy beaches running north and south. The town lies around the harbour and is protected by a rocky headland. An early Iron Age settlement existed on Scarborough Headland and later a 4th century Roman signal station. The Anglo-Saxons built a chapel on the station site, the remains of which are still visible. Scarborough was an important pottery making centre with a number of kilns found in the area. The first castle at Scarborough was built in 1135 by William Le Gros, Count of Aumale, grandnephew of William the Conqueror. In the top border the rune Raido appears. The meaning of this symbol is journey, arrival, or events concerning travel.