Armathwaite Castle

Armathwaite Castle is in the village of Armathwaite, Cumbria by the River Eden. It is a Grade II* listed building.

It is a four-storeyed pele tower which was built in the 15th century[1] with alterations in the late 17th or early 18th centuries. An extension was added in the late 18th and there were alterations to this in the late 19th century. The land on which it stands was granted in 1444 to John Skelton who was possibly Henry VIII's poet laureate.

Notes

  1. ^ Fry, Plantagenet Somerset (1980). The David & Charles Book of Castles. Newton Abbot: David & Charles. p. 179. ISBN 0-7153-7976-3. 

Most of Wikipedia's text and many of its images are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-SA)

Return to Main Index