|OS grid reference:||TQ575745|
|Region:||South East England|
|Post office and telephone|
|European Parliament:||South East England|
Iron Age remains have been found here, proving it to be an ancient settlement site. The 13th century parish church, dedicated to St Mary the Virgin at Stone, was known as the "Lantern of Kent" from its beacon light known to all sailors on the river.
Located about a mile to the south of Greenhithe and just north of the Roman Watling Street, Stone Castle dates from the mid 11th century, and is thought to have been constructed without license during the reign of King Stephen, but which was later permitted to remain by King Henry II, with his accession to the throne.
The castle was built almost entirely of flint. The only surviving portion of the original medieval castle intact is its large rectangular tower, rising 40 feet in height. An adjoining Georgian house was built onto the tower by Sir Richard Wiltshire; in 1527 Cardinal Wolsey stayed at his house while passing through the district. In more recent times the property has belonged to the Church of England.
Stone Castle is now the regional office of a large cement manufacturer. The cement works which once stood here have now been demolished.
Littlebrook Power Station, at Stone, is one of at least 14 power stations built at various times along the banks of the Thames.
Stone Crossing Halt is located on the Dartford-Gravesend railway line.
Most of Wikipedia's text and many of its images are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License (CC BY-SA)